Carry Forward allows shops, more specifically technicians, to view, confirm, and update the previous inspection results. Often, motorists don’t have the time or budget to take care of all recommendations in one visit or parts are not available the same day. This leads to multiple visits to your shop and applying the 100% inspection rule can often mean a lot of additional work just to create the same results as the previous visit. Carry Forward allows for a more efficient inspection process and produces consistent recommendations, regardless of the technician.
Feedback from our users indicated that some shop processes could benefit from having our Carry Forward feature decoupled from Guided Mode. We did just that! AutoVitals users can now finetune their inspection experience to one of the following.
- Guided Mode + Carry Forward
- Guided user experience with previous inspection data carried forward.
- Guided Mode Standalone
- Guided user experience without any of the previous inspection data carried forward. A new inspection is completed for each visit.
- Carry Forward Standalone
- Modified inspection user experience with previous inspection data carried forward.
What's in this article:
- Why don’t I see the Carry Forward screen when completing the inspections even though I have the Carry Forward setting on?
- How does the tech determine which inspection sheet was used during the previous visit?
How to Configure Carry Forward
Carry Forward now has its own configuration! If you wish to have previous inspection data carried forward, set the highlighted setting below to yes. You can also combine this with Guided Mode for the technicians for the ultimate inspection experience.
User Interface for Carried Forward When Guided Mode is On
A Carry Forward screen will appear on the technician’s tablet when they click on the “Select Condition” button on an inspection topic if all of the following apply:
- There was an inspection performed during the last visit using the same inspection sheet that the tech has open during the current visit
- The inspection topic was filled out during the last visit (it was not skipped)
- The tech is using the AutoVitals.X app on a tablet (and not a phone)
From this Carry Forward screen, the technician has the option to approve the past inspection result if it is still applicable rather than having to start that topic again from scratch. The tech will see four options:
- Confirm button: Confirm the inspection topic information
- Update Condition button: Update the condition if needed
This resets the entire topic, because if the condition has changed you shouldn’t have the same actions, and images from the previous visit associated with it.
- Edit notes button: Edit the notes only
- Replace Images button: Replace the image(s) only
User Interface for Carried Forward Inspections when Guided Mode is not on
*(Standalone refers to carry forward when Guided Mode is not on*
Our new inspection interface allows technicians to make any edits to the previous actions, notes, or images, or simply re-inspect the topic with a new set of conditions. Similar to our existing carry forward experience, any change in conditions will require a re-inspection. This means that the previous data will be cleared out so that you can start with a clean slate!
Management of Previous Images by Technician
Techs can delete one (or all) previous images when using standalone carry forward
- The added text indicates which technician completed the inspection during the previous visit. This is only available when using Carry Forward without Guided Mode enabled.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why don’t I see the Carry Forward screen when completing the inspections even though I have the Carry Forward setting on?
The technician will NOT see “Carry Forward” functionality if any of the following cases:
- Carry Forward is not turned on in My Shop--> Inspection Settings as shown in the "How to Configure" section above
- There was no digital inspection performed during the last visit
- The digital inspection from the last visit used a different inspection sheet than the one the technician currently has open
- The technician is using the AutoVitals.X app on a phone rather than a tablet (carry forward is only available on the tablet)
- The inspection topic was not completed during the last visit (even though an inspection using the same inspection sheet was completed)
How does the tech determine which inspection sheet was used during the previous visit?
A tech can see the inspection sheet that was used during the last visit by following these steps:
- Open the vehicle on the tablet
- Navigate to the Service History tab
- View the name of the inspection performed during the last visit
Features Coming Soon
The following features have been identified as potential use cases but will not be included in the initial launch of version 6.1.40 of AV.x
- Image Review Across Devices
Image review in the initial version will be limited to the device that captured the current visit's images. In our next release, we plan to allow any device to review the images from other technicians. Please note, this is independent of the service history and inspection results.
- Management of Previous Images by Technician
- The technician can only replace all images when using Carry Forward together with Guided Mode. If using Standalone Carry Forward, there is only an "Add Images" option. From the Today's Vehicles Page, the service advisor chooses which images should be shown or removed from motorist view.